stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Just bluebells

A walk to the local bluebell wood was in order this weekend (as a well deserved break from gardening). Its on top of a hill, and on one of the rides my girls used to do on their horses. The fields to one side of it are full of boisterous young lambs, whose mothers seem to be constantly anxiously calling them back from riotous play. We walked slowly up the hill, pausing now and then to look back at the view and to surreptiously catch our breath. The trees are lovely right now.

I've got a bit nostalgic about bluebells in the last few years. Not for the bluebells of my youth, no, I grew up in London so only saw them on occasion in Kew Gardens. But they became a sort of symbol for the sweetness in life I thought I was lacking. In fact, I don't think I could see the flowers themselves at all. All I was seeing and feeling was the emotions brought up by them.

This spring, though, I could look at them and enjoy their beauty again. Being in the moment - a genuine smile for them. You can tell your head what to think, but you cant fool your heart. But the tugging at my heartstrings was gone. I think I've seen my old dreams for what they are too. And along with that has come a measure of acceptance - that life is what you make of it, and indeed ultimately, what you choose it to be. And it is a lovely world, if only we let it be - and let ourselves Be.



9 Comments:

At 9:37 am, Blogger Val said...

Dearest Val,

"Just bluebells" - that should say it all, but obviously these flowers are more symbolic for you. I'm glad to see that you're now enjoying them.

They do look wonderful massed as shown in your photos, but in my garden they seem to pop up in unwanted spots, despite digging them up each year, and VERY annoying in amongst the mondo grass!

 
At 6:47 pm, Blogger Val said...

What's mondo grass, Val or any other Ozzie gardener?

 
At 10:22 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

Our wild bluebells were heavenly as well. They don't last long enough, though. I don't know that like is what you make it, but more like what you make of what life gives you.

 
At 9:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love flowers. It is so pretty to see them spread out over the ground.

 
At 6:58 am, Blogger Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Val....
Lovely posting, lovely pictures. The English (Welsh) countryside at this time of year takes some beating, doesn’t it..
Thank you for leaving a comment about my mountain stream. Its always good to hear from you. Marion

 
At 2:14 pm, Blogger Kerri said...

Val, if you read the comment on my redbuds from Annie,above yours, you'd know that you're right...they're not redbuds! They're crabapples. My mistake! I've fixed it now. I'm glad Annie straightened me out.
I love your bluebell woods. A great place for reflection. So peaceful.

 
At 10:52 pm, Blogger Kerri said...

I guess I pushed the button twice because it didn't seem to work the first time. Sorry!
I just got your comment about the redbud you saw for sale. What a shame you couldn't have bought it. I now know what they look like and would love one!! We're on the edge of their coldest zone, so it would be a bit 'iffy' here. Might not survive the NY winter. That garden trip must've been great fun! My email is in my profile if you ever want to use it.

 
At 2:19 am, Blogger Val said...

Mondo grass is Ophiopogon japonicus which I'm sure you know as it's ubiquitous in Japanese gardens. Didn't realise mondo grass was an Aussie name for it. It's very popular here. It forms a soft rounded carpet of long leaf grass, but having bluebells come up in the middle of it does not fit the desired look!

 
At 12:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wondeful pictures -) Thanks for sharing:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home