stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Friday, April 21, 2006

Garden life

Now that the weather is warming up a little, new things are appearing in the garden - live things. I saw some swallows flying over it on Easter Sunday - so that means that summer is here?

A pair of ducks shambled across the lawn, looking for a comfy place. I didn't like to tell them that last year I saw a mink slide through the garden, and scrabble at the patio window like a dog trying to get in! That night the mallard duck nesting in the next door garden lost all thirteen eggs to the mink, (probably the same animal that killed our last lot of chickens the previous year) But luckily they waddled off, and the last thing I saw was the rear end of the drake, pushing between some daffodils and over my Chinese granite stepping stones!


Then there was the frog I surprised as I stepped out onto the patio. It gave a huge leap into the camouflage of some dead leaves in a pot - twelve inches in the air. Not bad when you are only three inches long yourself. He then tried to pretend he didn't exist, not an eye blinked. How could anyone call such a handsome fellow a Common Frog?

3 Comments:

At 3:00 am, Blogger Val said...

That frog is handsome indeed.

You've caused me to look up what minks are, and with Google's image search I am reminded of what they look like. Didn't know they could be found in England.

 
At 12:36 am, Blogger Tanya said...

I've just posted about a frog in my house....

 
At 4:13 am, Blogger Kerri said...

That's such a lovely picture Val. Isn't it just amazing how he blends in?
Someone should make a coat out of that mink! (just kidding...honest!) Poor duck losing its eggs. Funny how both the Vals wrote about ducks :)
Watching the wildlife is such fun.
I meant to say in the above comment that your daughter is a pretty girl. She still looks good after running 26 mile. Now that's amazing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home