stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Odds and ends

The Man of the House' first potatoes of the year, in the veggie collecting basket I bought him.


The recent strong winds and rains here have played havoc with anything that is not well staked.
The big yellow things in front of the window have suffered a bit. I did divide them last year and planted a clump next to a fence, in the hopes of being able to remove this original lot from in front of the window. It was given to us a few years ago by a friend with a small garden because "it was too big!. I know what she means.

This photo was taken a couple of days after the first one, and the day lilies have started to bloom. At least thats what I think they are. And strangely all previous years they have been buttercup yellow. I could swear - in fact I shall have to go and look for photos. Do they always do that?


Agapanthus



A favourite of the Man of the House - they remind him of an aunty's garden in years gone by.

Sweet peas are a favourite of mine, but I dont sow the seeds, just buy them as tiny plants. They have done well this year, despite the wind and the damp weather.


Alchemilla mollis - I cant resist it after rain! Who cares that it has tiny flowers too .........


The evening sun just caught my £5 pottery pretend Japanese lantern - next to a mossy stone (watered in the dry spells)


I took myself off to Clouds Hill - where I had never been, in all my thirty three years in Dorset.
It was bought by the famouse T.E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) as a hideaway when just a primitive gamekeepers hut. An escape from the roughness of Bovington Army Camp nearby, somewhere he could write, listen to music and be quiet. I climbed the small hill behind which looked down on the roof and out over the Dorset valley of the Frome river.


I could stare for hours at the sky beyond pine branches. It touches something very deep in my soul, such a satisfying shape.

7 Comments:

At 5:55 pm, Blogger Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Loved your wonderful photo of Cloud's Hill! Magical place.

 
At 7:08 am, Blogger Sky said...

Such nice photos and an interesting
tid-bit of information about Clouds Hill. Thanks for sharing. :)

 
At 3:40 pm, Blogger Julie said...

Thank you for glimpses of your blooms and of Dorset. What a beautiful place it must be. I know of T.E. Lawrence but didn't know about his retreat.

Glad you like Stonewylde! I am putting you on my sidebar so I don't "lose" you any more.

 
At 12:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Val. First time visit for me. Very enjoyable!

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger Zen said...

Congrats to you luv on the grandchild, Congrats to the man o the house on the spuds :-)

Lovly shot of Cloud Hill.

Yes there is something about the pines. Seems like there is alwasy flowers growing around your place, no matter the season.

Here is a short story you might like from the sailing blog:

http://zensekai2.wordpress.com/2008/07/12/nihon-sailing-art-an-encounter-in-benica/

 
At 8:32 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

Golly, potatoes! Must be spring in your neck of the woods. Are you large yellow flowers what we call Jerusalem artichokes? I used to have those at my house and they got way too large and needed to be tied to the fence.

 
At 3:47 pm, Blogger laoi gaul~williams said...

ah hello!

clouds hill is lovely, i think i am due another visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home