stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Ancient stones in a peaceful garden

A day out of the office took me to the north Dorset hill top town of Shaftesbury. I was helping the Public Catalogue Foundation record some paintings in Dorset Libraries. But I had a moment to myself while my colleagues were photographing at Shaftesbury Abbey museum.

I discovered the peaceful grassy gardens, which contained the ruins of the nunnery dating back to 888 AD. Such history - and such a violent end six hundred years later. Cromwell had a lot to answer for.


The relics of Edward the Martyr were supposed to located there, and indeed some bones that carbon dated to the correct period were discovered, buried there.

Despite the violent end of the nunnery, the garden was an oasis of calm in the sunshine. I was given a hand held audio guide, and found it easy to see the walls of the impressive church coming to life in front of me. The photos taken on my phone pan from left to right across the garden.





I didnt have time to look around properly, or even go into the museum, but this chart caught my eye in a delightful studio at one side of the garden. I hope you can click to read it.


Its a shame that Shaftesbury is an hour's drive away, but its a delightful small market town full of unusual shops and it seems quite isolated, in a time of its own. I shall definitely find time to visit again, and hope to explore the nunnery ruins again at leisure. This time with more knowledge of its amazing history.

Maybe soon I WILL have more time. Retirement is definitely on the cards at long last.

Watch this space!

3 Comments:

At 6:23 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

Ah, now you have reminded me of another hobby I want to begin...medicinal herbs growing! Such an interesting place.

 
At 1:26 am, Blogger kerrdelune said...

Hm, medicinal herbs and a physic garden, something I have wanted to study for a long time!

Val, you are going to retire?

 
At 2:54 am, Blogger Kerri said...

Mmmm..fresh spuds...aren't they a treat?
Your July blooms are beautiful! I have an orange double daylily called either Kwanzo or Flore pleno. Not sure which..it's a passalong from a friend. Yours looks the same.
Did you check your older photos? I've never had any of my daylilies change color completely.
Clouds Hill sounds wonderfully peaceful and looks very picturesque.
I'm excited to know that retirement might be in the cards for you! :) When will that happen...if it happens?
Moss Rose Cottage...what a lovely name, and how wonderful it will be to have your daughter living close by. Is that the one with the new litte babe?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home