stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Monday, July 23, 2007

The White Strand of the Monks, Iona

This beautiful beach hides a tragic history - in the tenth century there was a bloodthirsty Norse massacre of some of the Abbey's monks. One photo looks back towards the abbey. I hadn't spent a lot of time on this beach before, but had only seen it from a distance. The small sandy isthmus in the distance is on another tiny islet.

We had the beach almost to ourselves. A noisy oystercatcher was flying around (in the third photo) seeming quite disturbed. Youngest daughter discovered a surprise on the rocks! But we havent been able to discover if this was the reason.

We wandered along, collecting shells and rocks, and soaking in the quiet and peace. I found a large piece of greeny mauve marble that had come from the vein in the south of the island. I brought it home in my coat pocket and hoped I wasnt weighed at the airport!

Enjoy the photos without any text or captions to distract you. I recommend clicking to enlarge.










6 Comments:

At 12:15 am, Blogger Val said...

All these photos are good enough to be screensavers or wallpaper, Val!

 
At 8:40 pm, Blogger Val said...

Can you spot the eggs in the next to last photo?

 
At 4:42 am, Blogger Kerri said...

I did however, enjoy these absolutely spectacular photos! Thank you val for giving us a little glimpse of this paradise!
Ah, walking along the beach now....smelling the ocean, hearing the noisy bird....finding the eggs in the nest!
I couldn't spot them in the second last photo.
No wonder you love this place!
Thanks for the happy birthday wishes and kind words. It was a good day :)
A belated happy 60th birthday to you. Yes, I'm feeling more liberated too :)

 
At 12:23 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

The eggs take my breath away in that this little bit of life has to start in such an austere environment.

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Rowan said...

These are such wonderful photgraphs Val - Iona looks a really magical place - tranquil and timeless and stunningly beautiful.

 
At 11:23 am, Blogger Alice said...

Val - such beautiful scenes. I could visualise them as paintings which I would never tire of looking at. What a wonderful place to visit and explore.

Your photos make me want to head to the coast again. We haven't been for ages, not since January, and I really love the coast in the winter. We really must go again soon, even if only for a day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home