stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Thursday, May 24, 2007

A medley of May morning flowers

A rose called Sterling Silver - it was a favourite with my Dad, who wasn't a great gardener.



The best seat in the house for the seedlings of brussel sprouts and something else that the Man of the House has on hold. He is waiting to harvest the new potatoes to allow them room in the veggie patch.


Just an old rambling rose of the sort you see growing in hedgerows, but lovely nonetheless.


Foxgloves are such a delight. But I can never tell their early leaves from comfrey - so we get a lot of comfrey (knitbone) growing. The MoH sometimes make a potion by steeping comfrey leaves in water. It smells foul but is supposed to be a geat plant feed. I'm not sure its worth it!



These are in the greenhouse, though the passionflower grows quite happily and vigorously outdoors in our village. The smell of the jasmine is delicious, but I think it would not stand the winter frosts (not that we had many last winter)



The first flower on the peony! It must have taken five years to bloom. I cant believe they grow like weeds.


The last blossom on the wisteria. The racemes (?) flower spurs (?) really do seem incredibly long this year. It must have been the mild spring. My wisteria pergola will have to wait till next year to be built. It would be lovely to sit under a roof of wisteria flowers drooping down through the gaps.

PS Ive written a few words about my reaction to the recent job upheaval over at ArkSanctum.

5 Comments:

At 11:24 am, Blogger Val said...

Ah, it's the year of the peony. Kerri (Colors of the garden) also has her first peony flowering.

Oh, I know all about smelly garden nutriments. Can always tell when the Man Who Cooks has spread blood and bone around the place.

 
At 6:08 pm, Blogger Zen said...

Passionflowers are one of my favorites. I was amazed the first time I saw one. Like some alien plant.

 
At 4:42 am, Blogger Kerri said...

That's funny...Val has me mixed up with someone else because I don't have any peonies flowering yet :) Easy enough to do when you visit several blogs in one sitting.
That first rose is very aptly named. It's glorious! All your blooms are beautiful.
My mother grew Jasmine on the railing of her porch steps. I loved the flower and perfume so much.

 
At 10:06 am, Blogger Val said...

Yes, Kerri - I keep hunting through your photos, thinking Ive missed the peony! I am usually just ahead of you in flowering and blooming seasons. So nice when we are continents apart! Although I think my summer is longer than yours, and the winter much milder!

 
At 7:32 pm, Blogger Rowan said...

Lovely photographs, the wild rose is one of my favourites. The MoH is absolutely right about comfrey, it's wonderful stuff, good on the compost heap as an accelerator if the potion is too much for you:) Makes a very effective ointment too - which reminds me that I must get some made!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home