stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Hip hip hurray, my birthday today!


Today is my 60th birthday!
A photo of this morning's poppy in the sunshine to celebrate it.

We've just had a family weekend in London, to celebrate the "zero" birthdays and events this year :-
The Man of the House's 70th; my 60th; Eldest Daughter's 30th AND our 40th wedding anniversay later on. There was champagne drunk on top of the two tallest buildings in the City of London and much good food eaten. Photos to follow!

My lovely girl friends are taking me out tonight - a secret destination (I asked for it to be a secret!) but my request was a walk by the sea!

LLF is coming down for the event too. Mind you I will be talking to her about work - because my birthday present from by bosses (they have no idea its my birthday of course) is a new job! We are being "restructured" and some of us have been allocated new posts if our old one no longer exists. C'est moi! And it is not one I expressed a preference for, or am even looking forward to. Yukk. But I still have a job at least.

However I am not allowed to speak about it yet - because only those with "unexpected placements" have been told so far. So I have taken the next couple of days off work as it seems unbearable to have to keep quiet with the close knit team of colleagues who are also affected by this decision. And to have to smile while receiving birthday congratulations!

I shall feel better about it soon, and will cease mourning my old lovely and enjoyable and exciting job. I wont let it affect my enjoyment of the day though. I had a good talk about it last night with sangha friends outside of work. And of course, it was soon put into perspective. One lovely lady has just celebrated her birthday which she knows it will be her last as she has cancer. Now that made not getting a job that I fancy seem hardly worth mentioning!

Still trying not to fall off this exceedingly wobbly stepping stone!!!

Onward and upward!!

6 Comments:

At 10:52 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

Perspective, yes something I wish they would bottle and sell so that we didn't stress over the unnecessary!

 
At 3:20 am, Blogger Val said...

Dearest Val,

I wish you a very happy birthday and I'm sure you're in for a wonderful (make it continuous!)round of celebrations for this event. 60 is a fabulous age to be, as you'll find out. And I'm sure you'll find lots of positives in your new job, you've already done so: you DO have a job.

 
At 8:54 am, Blogger Rowan said...

Belated Happy Birthday Val - I hope you had a wonderful day. I still can't believe that I've reached that age! I'm sure your new job will be fine - and,as you say, having a friend who won't be celebrating any more birthdays certainly puts things into perspective. How sad to know that one has so little time left, we should all make sure that we make the most of every day even when they aren't going so well.

 
At 10:46 am, Blogger HORIZON said...

Sorry to have missed your birthday Val- and such an important year too!! Happy belated birthday wishes waved South to you!!!!
My husband and brother had their birthday's this month also- has been a busy time.
Sad news about your friend with cancer- l can't imagine how that would feel.
hugs and many happy years ahead!!!!
Am looking forward to the pics.

 
At 7:46 pm, Blogger Chris said...

can't believe your 60 years young. must be all that meditation - or medication??

 
At 3:44 am, Blogger Kerri said...

I'm late, I'm late, for a very important date!
Happy belated birthday Val! Sounds like a fun time was had by all. Going to the city...what a nice thing to do for all the zero birthdays! And the walk by the sea...just perfect...as is that magnificent poppy.
I hope the new job will prove to be more enjoyable than you're anticipating.
I've enjoyed all the photos of you and your friends..and sweet daughter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home