stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Saturday, July 07, 2007

A long moan about my job - sorry!

Its been a strange time on the work front - quite unsettling.

Firstly there was the long awaited restructuring at work. The whole library service had been working towards this for a year or more, and we all knew that £850,000 had to be saved and that there was no way that the County Councillors would consider closing libraries. Or buying less books. So that left staff. Less staff. By not filling any vacancies they managed to lose 26 jobs over the year, so no one was made redundant.

Then they altered the management structure.

This meant my lovely job, with websites and other techie wonders, no longer existed as such. It was downgraded and they gave it to the cataloguer. And they gave me the job of looking after Health & Safety, buldings, blocked toilets, window cleaning contracts, paying invoices etc etc. In short, nothing to do with being a librarian or information or websites!

And no appeal against their decision.

However, three days into our new structure - and another bombshell hits. Not enough money saved. Another restructure. Is this a world record? So this time it is proposed that we shall cut opening hours of libraries, as we cant close them altogether. And we have to cut the jobs of another 40 library assistants, and also 6 out of 20 professional librarians! However the press release doesnt seem to mention the 40 library staff out in the branch libraries.

I had go so depressed and dispirited at the thought of my allotted job for the next five years that I thought about finding some other job. I hadn't been given any hand over for it, apart from going to a couple of meetings with my predecessor (who was from a temporary staff agency on a short contract) And those meetings showed what the job was about. I have to force myself to stay awake, and I often drove home in tears. Still do. If I retired now, I shall lose 28% of my pension for life, as I am deemed to be leaving "early". Although the state pension says I can retire at 60, my work pension says 65!

I was thrilled to be shortlisted for interview for a job with the BBC looking after the BBC Dorset website. But the job was called Broadcast Journalist, and while I obviously fulfilled many of the criteria, I didnt get the job because, I suspect, they want a proven journalist and writer. I had a great day out in Southampton though, and really enjoyed the interview and the writing assessment.

A great source of consolation was that a great writer and blogger who is already working for the BBC didnt get the job either! I recognised him coming out of his interview, which I think unsettled him a bit. Even got a mention on his blog post for that day!

All these application forms plus the new duties and subject area of my new job have meant little time for blog reading or writing.

I have told my bosses that my current job is not what I enjoy doing, and though I will give it my best shot, I should like to be considered for redundancy in the next round of cuts. I expect it will take till next year. But meanwhile I shall try not to mind the drudgery and boring nature of my post as Business Support Manager. I do wonder if they knew or cared that I was inumerate when they put me in charge of authorising invoices! I probably wont go job hunting again - there are not many webby/interesting jobs in my small town.

Also interesting too that Zen's working life is badly aspected! But at least I have a job, and a laptop and an office to myself. Not everyone can say that!

Moaning over.

On Monday I am off for a week's break on Iona, with LLF and Youngest Daughter. Hurrah. I seem to remember that a holiday on Iona featured in some of my first ever posts in October 2005. We will be out of contact of mobile phone and internet access for a week, so I shall look forward to catching up when I return.

8 Comments:

At 3:29 am, Blogger Kerri said...

You've had an unsettling experience losing such an interesting job and getting stuck in a new position that sounds boring as all getout to a person who loves to deal with books and information. I feel for you Val. Life sometimes throws us some rough punches, doesn't it? You seem to be working through it well.
I'm so glad you're going to Iona with good company and hope that will lift your spirits and put a smile on your face :) xox

 
At 10:09 am, Blogger Val said...

My commiserations at your job situation have already been sent by email. All I can do now is wish you a happy holiday which will take you away from everything and hopefully distract you, dear Val. And feel free to moan to your blogger buddies if that helps you let off steam. You are in our thoughts.

 
At 9:35 pm, Blogger Zen said...

I feel ya Val. We've gone through this together , though apart ;-)

BTW on a different note. I asked about the sword tassle. I was told, we still use it. in a way it is for self training keeping control of the tassle while doing the movements. Some forms are more condusive to that than others. WuShu (new chinese style is much larger movements) is easier to use the tassles with because of the openess. For the most part though in the China it is for show/looks, rather than training, as in the old sytems. A further comment was, when the sword is new, it most times comes with a tassle it is left on until it breaks...

 
At 12:00 am, Blogger kerrdelune said...

Oh Val.......... would that it were NOT so. This is more or less what I went through a year or two ago, and it hurts - it is so frustrating too. I am too far away from you to have to have lunch (or tea) and talk about everything but I am sending you Reiki and blessings too.

 
At 11:49 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

You and I are somewhat in the same place. I have not had my job downgraded but 75% of what I used to do is being done by someone else and they 'pretend' to say that I am included. We recently had a major national meeting and I was told to not register until the last minute because they didn't have enough spaces!! It is very discouraging because we both are smart and hard-working. Just remember each day you go to work and monitor that invoice, that I sit here in my cubicle waiting for the phone to ring or waiting for a web content project that stimulates my mind. I suggest thinking outside the box, doing some kind of efficiency project or something on the side. Time will pass, thank goodness.

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Rowan said...

I'm sorry that your working life is not very inspiring for the moment, I hope the week in Iona has made up for it and that you have had a wonderful time.

 
At 2:44 pm, Blogger HORIZON said...

Just to let you know that l've been thinking about you and your journey north. l have a view to the water and it is hard not to imagine you out there somewhere near :)
Wish l had given you my number ;)
bests

 
At 4:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're not happy with your new job - perhaps, looking at it holistically it was 'meant' to happen, to enable you to enjoy something new. Something better. Good luck :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home