stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Saturday, August 26, 2006

The water feature

I was asked about the drilled rock water feature on my patio - aka The Leak.

Here it is. One lump of greeny rock with a hole drilled through; one reservoir and one pump - as you can buy in a package. When I came home with the rock, a few years ago, my husband said "Why did you go and pay for that? I could have drilled through any rock for you." Err, yes, but I didnt want the broken drill bits and to have to wait until the next year!


I remember youngest daughter and I lifting up one of the paving slabs on the patio, excavating a hole, lining it with sand and installing pool and pump in an afternoon. Every year I have to lift the rock off so I can clean out the fallen leaves, bale out the old water (often complete with frog skeleton) clean the pump filter and refill. This year I havent put the covering of pebbles back to camouflage the plastic cover, I've just put all the plants in pots back there who like their feet in water.

The sound of the bubbling water is very soothing, and to watch the water as it bubbles up - always changing - is entrancing. It reminds me of the ever present element of change in all things. And that is somehow comforting and yet exhilarating. To have the component of change in every moment is a wonderful opportunity - it opens up a way out of the ordinariness of our existence.

On a different tack, do you fancy being a Guerilla Gardener?

3 Comments:

At 3:52 am, Blogger Kerri said...

See, there you go with the wonderful prose again!
This is beautiful Val. I love the way you have the plants arranged. It makes a very pretty spot. I wish we could hear the water!

 
At 10:13 am, Blogger Val said...

This looks so refreshing, Val. I agree with Kerri that sound effects would be great. Maybe the beta version of blogger will have that feature. Ha!

 
At 10:48 pm, Blogger Zen said...

Lovely. I also enjoy my lil fountain in Zen's patio garden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home