stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Fresh as the morning dew

I've enjoyed this summer more than any other, I think. Its been easy to savour its delights, and to appreciate each moment. The Dorset countryside is so glorious in these bountiful months.

But also its very easy to walk outside into the garden and drink in the sights and sounds, then the mind immediately creates a comparison with how it will be in the winter to come. Whammo! Joy of the moment lost!

Kerri's Colors of the Garden propelled me into curbing those trains of thought, her summer seems so short and her winter so hard. And Tabor's One Day at a Time inspired me even more to make the most of each moment.

After the unusual heat of the early summer, the air is cooler now and at last rain has started to fall. Very thoughtfully, the Universe has lately provided this at night. The early morning air is fresh and clean, and the garden is shaded and quiet with the sun just dappling through. The music of water, dripping from leaves in varying scales, is a gently syncopated backdrop to my morning wanderings with a cup of Early Grey in hand.

5 Comments:

At 8:29 pm, Blogger Kerri said...

Val, you have the most wonderful way with words. I wish I could wax poetic like that :) I think I've enjoyed this summer more than others too (although I ALWAYS enjoy the summer). Sharing the garden (and everyday life) with so many 'friends' on the blogs has been wonderful fun though. I see so much more these days...everywhere I go!
Our weather sounds very similar. I have those same feelings that you do...cringing at the thought of the coming winter. Our countryside is glorious at the moment too, and hearing the birds call. The hawk is around...I just heard him shrieking. He's a talker, that one!
Sunflowers are happy things, aren't they? :)
We had heavy rain last night and our weather is gloriously sunny today with a breeze. Lovely!
Your pictures are really wonderful, and your garden is gorgeous with all the contrasts!

 
At 4:09 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

Oh I do so want to join you on one of these jaunts next year. Earl Gray is my afternoon companion and a cup of Java when I walk barefoot through the wet lawn and leaves in the early mornings. Now all I have is patches of lawn and hardscape.

 
At 6:05 am, Blogger Vishwa said...

Val....the descriptions of your surroundings along with the beautiful pictures are a treat and really soothing. As I commented on an earlier post, they make me desire to live in such surroundings.
Thanks for the good links as well.

 
At 1:48 pm, Blogger Val said...

Do I detect an Australian correa plant there?

I'm sure you have thoroughly appreciated the beauty of summer and have stored up enough memories to carry you through winter. There are lots of positives about winter too - I remember a number of your posts and photos where it was very evident that you were enjoying winter!

 
At 2:36 am, Blogger kerrdelune said...

Rain dappled flowers and foliage, morning dew and fountains - they are all just my cup of tea. I do grumble about winter from time to time, but the turning of the seasons is something I could not do without.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home