stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Saturday, August 12, 2006

How does your garden grow?


Looking at the lovely images of Turks' Cap Lilies by Kerrdelune, reminded me of a day out, last year with some Dorset friends to the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew. There was an exhibition of Dale Chihuly's glass - large works of art scattered around the gardens and in the huge palm houses - growing out of the water, peeping out of the plants. Wonderfully organic and vibrant.

I grew up near by Kew Gardens, just on the other side of the River Thames in London. Once, during an early period of unemployment, my Life Long Friend from library school and I spent many hours in the Palm House. We sketched, and talked, and kept our sinuses moist and free, and talked, and admired the different textures and shapes of the exotic foliage, and talked, and generally kept warm in the cold grey English winter.

If you would have told me, I wouldn't have believed that years later I would be seeing such strange sights in those glass houses, or with such a lovely group of friends. Also, with the same Life Long Friend (hereafter known as the LLF) I visited the new Japanese garden at Kew, built around the Chokusi-Mon gate...... but that's another story!

6 Comments:

At 3:47 am, Blogger Kerri said...

These are brilliant! You're a talented photographer.

 
At 3:19 pm, Blogger David said...

Those orange flower thingys do it for me. Can you go back and take more?

 
At 2:43 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

I really love the blending of art and nature in photo one and photo three. His work is certainly lovely. I read somewhere that he has a lawsuit against some other artist for copying his glass work style. That leaves a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth as I would hope artists are above that. As long as the artist signs the work and doesn't try to copy a work exactly, I would hope he would be flattered. Oh well.

 
At 11:22 pm, Blogger Zen said...

wonderful Photos!!

 
At 10:50 am, Blogger Reflection Through The Seasons said...

What a delightful and unusual collection of photographs in your posting Val. Its good to be able to enlarge them too and see more detail. Marion

 
At 6:39 am, Blogger Val said...

Love these glass thingies! And a new Japanese garden at Kew?? How lucky you are! And we'll be expecting that other story, Val!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home