stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Friday, June 30, 2006

An English country garden

I spent this evening in Penny and David's garden, along with the usual Friday night crowd. There was wine and excellent conversation (with sad lapses when the lads talked about the Football World Cup) The food was a barbecue with some of Penny's delicious salads. But the highlight for me was her garden. Its as knowledgeably put together as are her menus, and lovingly tended. On the right of the top phone photo is the crab apple tree that inspired me to obtain one. The shrubs are gorgeous, and imaginatively placed with contrasts of texture and colour. And the smell from the philadelphus Belle Etoile as the dusk fell was divine.

We looked across the river valley, and watched the mist rising. Quite magical. We all expected a white horse to step out of it towards. If you know where to look, you can see my house across the water meadows framed between the trees - just to the left of the white house!

This is the view from the balcony outside their bedroom. I know I haven't the time or the talent to create such a lovely garden, but I am always inspired when I visit. My resolution from this visit is to try to get some of my plants out of their tubs and pots, and be more organised in my planting by next winter.

3 Comments:

At 2:09 am, Blogger Kerri said...

What an inspiring garden! Is the blue plant salvia? I wish I could smell the philadelphus. I too would like to be more organised in my planting! I always need to move something to plant something it seems! Too many plants to thin!

 
At 7:00 am, Blogger Val said...

That's so lovely, what a view from the balcony. You wouldn't want to travel anywhere else!

 
At 1:10 am, Blogger Tabor said...

You do know how to cut your blessings wtih such lovely pictures. You have inspired me to get busy planning my garden.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home