stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Sailing on a wet summer Sunday

Yes, its the British summer - so expect rain! But sailors are hardy folk, and I had been invited for another day aboard Harmony.

My wet weather gear was donned, and I helped or hindered get the mainsail covers off; get the jib sorted; watch a "man overboard" prototype tested ( a cunning device of bamboo pole, short length of plastic pipe plus lead etc that will pinpoint a poor soul bobbing about in waves while the boat comes about) and we were on our way.


This is a view back to the Isle of Doom (aka Isle of Portland). It was a grey day, and we had our picnic lunch as we sailed.
The fisherman on board had only rudimentary tackle (that's not a personal comment!) but caught a pollack or is it pollock? Anyway here is a photo before it was returned to the sea with Portland Harbour entrance in the background (all of the images were taken on my phone by the way) Note the clever use of perspective, suggested by the fisherman!



We used the motor as well as the mainsail on the way out, and you can see the speed on the instrument is 4.24 knots as we approached Lulworth Cove. After a short rest, we set sail for home. Now you must forgive me if my terminology is un-nautical, but we went back on a beat with jib and mainsail. The boat felt wonderful under sail, with the water chuckling under the hull and we managed an average speed of 6 knots! And what's more, I had a go on the helm for a few moments. I was surprised how responsive it was. For some reason I kept humming "Klingons on the starboard bow" and other Startrek ditties! Must have been the "helm" connotations.The fisherman plonked his Wimbledon cap on my head, and I tried to look nonchalant! Thanks to all concerned for an excellent day along the wonderful Dorset coast. We got back to the clubhouse TV in time for the men to watch the last few minutes of the World Cup football game. England won! With cup of tea in hand, it was a good end to an excellent day.

AND I didnt have to water the garden! Bonus!

3 Comments:

At 7:57 am, Blogger Val said...

Well, Val, with all the other things we have in common, this is one trait we don't share. I am a terrible sailor, and feel slightly ill just looking at all those choppy waves in the background. You however look so happy and perfectly at ease. Lucky you!

 
At 10:36 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

I must say you DO look so 'in the zone' in that photo.

 
At 2:20 am, Blogger Kerri said...

A lovely photo of you looking happy and relaxed. Sounds like a fun day. The fisherman looks like a character. Your cell phone takes great photos....you do well with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home