stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Bays of Iona

This magical island is only three miles long, but what a wealth of wonderful bays it holds. Most of the coastline is forbidding cliffs, but here is a taste of the rest.

St Ronan's Bay and the village (known as Baile Mor in Gaelic) from the ferry


Martyr's Bay (just south of St Ronan's) You can see the ferry ramp on the left of the picture. A narrow sound separates Mull from Iona, but the geology is totally different.


The Bay Of The Seat on the "North End" of Iona


The White Strand of the Monks


Bay At The Back Of The Ocean



The sweep of The Bay At The Back Of The Ocean, looking towards the north




Port Ban, just to the north of the Bay At The Back Of The Ocean



Looking down to St Columba's Bay
(The Port of Coracle on the left of the hillock and the Port of the False Man on the right)




The labyrinth of large pebbles at St Columba's Bay (beachcombing friend under the cliffs!)



The view from the ferry as we left Mull (the large island between Iona and Scotland)

5 Comments:

At 11:04 am, Blogger Tabor said...

Looks like I have another place to add to my list of places to see before I die. Wonderful photos. NO wonder you feel restored!

 
At 10:39 am, Blogger Val said...

Hmm, I see you've quite got the idea of the boots photo. The only one I've remembered to take, I accidentally erased from the camera before transferring to the computer. Grrr! This photos is simple but well composed.

What's the story behind the large pebbles? And they're really much larger than pebbles, aren't they?

 
At 6:31 pm, Blogger Zen said...

You have some lovely shots here, smashing :-)

Thanks for dropping by Zensekai and saying hello.

I'll need to spending some time wandering around here. To see the rest of your teasures

 
At 5:00 am, Blogger Kerri said...

There's those boots again :) Wonderful pictures. What a magnificent place. No wonder you love it. The sky so blue, water so clear and grass so green. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

 
At 6:56 pm, Anonymous Jeff said...

I hope you don't mind, but I've linked to your page on the Bay at the Back of the Ocean from my bagpiping profile.
http://grpd.us/profile_display.asp?member_id=37
I played my pipes there a couple of years ago, and I found your article a better explanation than I could have done. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home