stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Friday, June 23, 2006

Music to my ears

Recently, I had a journey to London and used my old CD player. Its so old that the wires in the headphones have a dodgy connection, and I ended up for two hours in one position. If I moved a centimetre, I lost all sound in my ears. So I sat still, in the required position, with my head on one side, holding the wire tightly between my fingers, not daring to move a muscle. And if there were any jolts, the CD skipped. And such a kerfuffle to change a CD. It was not a comfortable journey.So I decided to treat myself to something slightly more sophisticated. My new mp3 player is called a Zen Nano Plus. With a name like that, and its sleek blackness, I had to have it! Its the size of a cigarette lighter but with more memory than my first computer! And I can listen to the radio, or download radio programmes I have missed. And all sorts of things I havent discovered yet.

It has an added advantage that I can use it quietly in the darkness of night, as musical ear plugs. My choice of favourite relaxing music is a calming alternative to marital snores.

My only moan is that the earbuds are designed for larger ears than mine. The ones I bought to replace the original ones designed for giants are good quality, but are smaller, squashier and I dont have to peer myopically at them to see the tiny L and R to know which ear to put them in. I know its stereo, but I just assumed they need to be in the correct ears. maybe not, but I am too orderly and tidy minded to disregard it!

I am only just beginning to find how useful my Zen is. I even have some Zen chanting on it! How lovely it is to hear sounds that are apparently happening in the middle of your head!

5 Comments:

At 2:12 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

Not doing anything with music so high tech yet...maybe sometime in the future. It seems everyone I know has an Ipod or MP3 player these days.

 
At 7:53 am, Blogger Val said...

Congratulations on your new toy. I've been thinking about getting some new music/radio playing device, especially for the footy. My current set up has the radio included in the headphones, and when you move your head to follow the game - lots of action in Aussie rules football - the radio station fades in and out. I cannot stay still and practise zen at a footy game. I wonder if Ipods are any better at that.

 
At 7:54 am, Blogger Val said...

P.S. I just CAN'T wear any of those "ear buds" in my ears. They either hurt or fall out.

 
At 2:17 am, Blogger Kerri said...

Neat! I haven't tried one of these or an ipod yet. Interesting about the earbuds.
It was amazing how much the water had receded today. From up on the hill the river looked normal again! The sun shone and we were finally able to get the whole lawn mowed at once, albiet a very soggy lawn that we probably shouldn't have been driving on in some parts. Had to get it done! Feels good! Looks better!

 
At 11:38 pm, Blogger Zen said...

yes INDEED
they are smashing!!
more than a toy, a multi-funtional electric music box :-)

Even the Mrs was impressed !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home