stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Sunday, February 07, 2010

Slumbering Dorset hills shift gently in their winter sleep

This snowy scence is my garden a few weeks ago. Since then it has been cold, but sometimes the sun shines and there is change in the air. The birds are singing their spring songs and robins are having boundary skirmishes.


In the woods by the river the snowdrops are now in full flurry, and there is a definite shift towards longer days. Light at the end of the winter tunnel, I can almost feel hopeful that spring will arrive. And then they have forecast more snow tomorrow! I guess the earth will go dormant again for a while.


In felt making class, we were challenged out of our comfort zones and had to produce a large cylindrical shape in wet felt - but using two colours from the opposite sides of the colour wheel + either black or white. I usually like to use toning colours. Oh well, its only an exercise, so I flung myself into it. But I had to use the citrus yellow in the centre even so!

To give it a lighter feeling, I used white as a sort of feather theme and included real feathers for emphasis. I used the sections I took out of the top edge yellow-side up, and put them lower down for weight.



I photographed it next to some yellow and mauve flowers I bought the Man Of The House for his birthday. I actually quite like it now! But its proved to me that I prefer to make things in felt that have a use rather than purely decorative objects. I dont think a felt vase is a good idea. What else could I use it for I wonder?

11 Comments:

At 9:26 pm, Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful. I am ready for Spring.
The ground is covered with snow but I know all are waiting for the warmth of the sun.

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger kerrdelune said...

Val, these photos are lovely, and it was rare treat to visit your garden. What an oasis of beauty and sanity it is!

 
At 7:44 pm, Blogger kate smudges said...

It's lovely to see snowdrops in bloom. I'm fascinated by your felted vase ~ do you need to put another container in the inside of it or is the felt waterproof? (I'm visiting via Kerri's blog.)

 
At 11:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you not put a smaller vase in that or does it topple over. I like the idea of that vase within a vase concept. Is your wonderful felt piece standable for pencils, paintbrushes? I'm sure you'll find something - it's beautiful!

 
At 11:17 pm, Blogger Kerri said...

Hello Val,
Your snowdrops were so early! Ours have been blooming here for a couple of weeks and now the crocuses have joined them. Unfortunately the beautiful week or so of sunny, warm weather we had has reverted to winter and the blooms are staying closed. I'm despairing of seeing them open before they're spent. Bah humbug! Come back warm sunshiny days! Please?
I like the idea of putting another vase inside your pretty felt vase. The bouquet goes beautifully with it.
What else have you been up to lately? Wasn't there a hint of a second grandbaby? Or did I dream that?
Happy spring!

 
At 10:16 am, Blogger AMIT said...

Beautiful written.

Adsense Alternative

 
At 1:10 am, Blogger Zen said...

How is it Feb, in England and still Jan in the States??

Love the vase!

 
At 5:11 pm, Blogger Kerri said...

Hi Val,
I sent you an e-mail around Christmas and am just wondering if you received it. It's been a while since we swapped e-mail and I thought maybe your address might have changed.
Anyway, I appreciated your comment on my blog and wanted to let you know.
Hope all is well and that you're enjoying life and your family, especially those grandkiddys.
Happy New Year!

 
At 12:07 am, Blogger HORIZON said...

Hello Val- hope all ok with you. Sarah x (Argyll, Scotland)

 
At 4:45 pm, Blogger kerrdelune said...

Val, I do miss your thoughtful posts here.

 
At 7:37 am, Blogger centerpost said...

Thanks for sharing great informational content.
roblox asset downloader
intel delayed launcher

 

Post a Comment

<< Home