stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Freezing


I am so glad we have a boiler that works to warm the house, and that I have an electric blanket for my bed during this long cold "snap" of freezing weather, although as yet we only have a light dusting of snow. Enough to make my stepping stones look pretty, with their tiny Japanese lantern ready to light the beginning.


My collection of acers in pots may not like the temperatures, but the Buddha looks good with a snowy hat! Some tender plants just won't recover - hebes. bamboos and others will just not survive consistently being frozen.

In Britain we are warmed by the Gulf Stream and - as my geography teacher used to say - warm wet westerly winds in winter. But since Christmas this has not been so, and the warm westerlies have been thwwarted by a large immovable airmass, and we have been having totally different winds blowing in freezing air from the arctic and Siberia, and it has been literally freezing.

We use the term loosely usually. to just mean cold. But temperatures have been below zero for nearly two weeks and we are not used to it! I feel a bit trapped as I really enjoy getting out and about in the countryside or even in the garden, and the ground is icy, slippery and treacherous underfoot. And I havent got strategies to deal with these sort of conditions built into my psyche or my way of life!

But I walk up into our field whenever I can. Youngest Daughter and I, and behind us you can see the group of new houses (our Old School is out of view just to the left)


Isnt he handsome?

We are very protected in this part of Dorset, and often have warmer weather than areas just a few miles away (we are close to the sea) and its been like it this time. No deep snowfall yet, despite other parts of England having had snow since before Christmas. But enough to get the sledge out - we have had it for over forty years and for some of that time it was used as a TV stand.

This is my future Son in Law and his dog about to descend from the top of the field (his pigs are behind him) We have at least another few days of this weather to come, and maybe more, but the stubborn air mass may be shifting soon. I doubt our nation will ever get used to "freezing" for more than a day or two at a time. Hopefully it will just be an interlude to remember.

8 Comments:

At 12:39 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

It seems that most of the US is contending with the very cold weather that Europe and you now have. We have had only one real snowfall, but the bitter winds have FINALLY stopped today.

 
At 6:26 am, Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Your pictures look similar to what I see out my window (when it is daylight). Two more days of 15 and below temperature with wind.
The roads are slick in spots. I am extra cautious since I made this move back to the country - so will be staying home for a few more days. Stay warm!!!

 
At 10:57 pm, Blogger Kerri said...

The frigid weather is certainly the "hot" topic lately! Most of the northern hemisphere seems to be in the grip of this "freezing" snap. I'll bet the English children have enjoyed their "snow days" :)
We've had weeks of snow and cold too. Our high and low temps today are 13/3F (-10/-16C). We put on several layers to go out and feed the outdoor wood furnace, barn cats and birds, and we're staying put as much as possible. I'm sure your "taste" of snowy weather helps you fully appreciate my dread of our long, snowy winters each time the season approaches, and my longing for spring as we endure the long, cold months.
What glorious weather you had on Christmas Day in Lyme Regis. Such a contrast to the snowy cold!
Thanks for all the beautiful photos, both the ocean and the snow.
Wishing you a very happy, healthy New Year, dear Val.

 
At 7:18 am, Blogger Vishwa said...

No snow in this part of the world. But cold, yup, although not as freezing as it is over there. :-)

 
At 10:16 pm, Blogger Val said...

Hello, the Other Val!
it's been a while since I've heard from you. Been thinking about you and glad to see your house heating is coping with the cold. In Melbourne we've been having weather in the 40s - celcius!

Please write: va dot forbes at gmail dot com

The Other Val

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Zen said...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

 
At 8:25 pm, Anonymous Dell Ledermann said...

Oh wow, that was a lengthy wintertime, was it not? This is one of those moments when we'd love to cozy in a warm house in the middle of all the cold weather. Nice to have that electric blanket handy. Of course, we just have to make sure that the heater's cooperating with the right temperature.

 
At 10:49 pm, Blogger kerrdelune said...

Hoping you are well, Val, and that you return here some day tp post - I do miss your wise words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home