stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Monday, October 19, 2009

Autumn at the national arboretum

I had long wanted to vist Westonbirt but it is a bit too far away for a day visit, but my brother and his wife invited us to stay the weekend, so that we could all go together - and they only live a short distance away. My sister-in-law cooked lovely meals, and my brother and I compared notes on computer games and shared family stories from the past!

He had researched the best time to visit for autumn colour and the weekend had arrived. Many many people had the same idea, and there were queues of cars at the gates. But there was also an extra temporary entrance with three booths, and acres and acres of extra parking. Very well organised. It was more like visiting a festival or outdoor event. Everyone was in good spirits, and I didnt even hear one child whining with boredom (and there were plenty of children). It was hard to believe that the thousands of people were there just to look at trees!


We were happy to follow the well signposted Seasonal Trail, which took us in two loops (one before lunch, one afterwards) through the National Collection of Japanese Maples and through well kept woodland and splendid specimens.


I realised that this is the first year in quite a few, that I havent been to Kyoto in the autumn. The cold air on our faces made me quite nostalgic for misty mountainsides and temples surrounded by delicate flame coloured trees, with leaves like tiny stars.......



My husband walking past a particularly delicious Bhutan pine, very Himalayan.


Nothing as beautiful as an acer against pine trees!






The hunter gatherer searches for fallen edible sweet chestnuts!


I have this one as wallpaper right now.



Taking a rest, flanked by my brother and my husband.
Thanks for a great weekend!

3 Comments:

At 8:02 pm, Blogger Tabor said...

Ah,yes, a rose between two thorns...just kidding. Lovely fall in your neck of the woods. Love the wallpaper shot. I am still working through my trip to the Great Smokies and all the beautiful hardwoods changing with the season.

 
At 12:07 pm, Blogger One Woman's Journey - a journal being written from Woodhaven - her cottage in the woods. said...

Beautiful images. Enjoyed the journeying with you.

 
At 2:38 am, Blogger Kerri said...

Ah, those colors! What wonderful trees.
Nice picture of you three :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home