stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Like the first morning

This spring somehow seems to be the first spring I have seen. Maybe I have new eyes. Maybe I have the time now to see and appreciate it in. Maybe it is the contrast with the cold dark winter when I was housebound....

These are snapshots of an early Sunday morning as I walked to bellringing, while the rest of the world seemed asleep in their beds, missing the freshness and newness and the sparkling air.

The small village lane is bordered on one side by the wall of the manor house kitchen garden. You can just see the magnolia tree peeping over the top. Lovely! Old Dorset walls always reminds me of the walls of Japanese gardens, which are tiled in just the same way. I think English ones would have been thatched in the old days though. The small river runs under the small bridge, then through their garden, and they have cleverly grown a green living wall above the railings,


Looking upstream, away from the manor house wall, the peaceful church yard borders the river. Only the fir trees are showing any green. No leaves yet on the bare branches.


I was late and so had the delight of hearing the bells as I walked along the lane. Only six bells were being rung though, and one ringer is listening and leaning on the ancient stone font. The framework above the ringers is to hold the guiding rings to keep the ropes straight. Only needed in tall towers like ours. The fluffy blue bit on the ropes where your hands go is called a sally. Its such an ancient thing, some of the names and terms are quaint, even to my ears.

Soon we were ringing all ten bells. This number of bells is unusual in a small village, and mostly found in large city churches or cathedrals.

Back home for breakfast and a wander in the garden to see what is bursting into bloom and the first cutting of the grass.......

4 Comments:

At 7:47 am, Blogger Rowan said...

Early mornings when no=one else is around are the best time of day. Your church looks old and interesting and has a lovely setting.

 
At 9:07 am, Blogger Tabor said...

I love this photo of the bell ringing. It is so unusual for my area of the world. How great to be able to shout for joy with 10 other people. I do notice spring every year and seem to relish each detailed change.

 
At 8:10 pm, Blogger hippymummy said...

It looks beautiful where you are, what a a wonderful thing,, bellringing. I used to live next door to a arish church and learned to appreciate the beells, although i nearly jumped out of my skin the first time they woke me! I hadn't realised that they rang so early! I found you via Rowans lovely blog and am sure i'll be back again xXx

 
At 1:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So interesting! I loved the bell-ringing photo, and the scenery from your part of the world. That's what I love about the blogging world. You can switch hemispheres in an instant. xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home