stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Monday, January 05, 2009

Leaving present

When I left work at the library, even though I disappeared quietly, some of my colleagues got together and sometime later gave me a lovely bouquet of flowers and some cash (in a beautifully hand-crafted envelope, made by the person who took over my job, and who will be much better in it than I was!)

I pondered on what to do with it, and I even took the cash and envelope with me to Kyoto. Just in case I should see any beautiful thing that I normally wouldnt have bought myself. Nothing.

I looked around for something beautiful in this country that I normally wouldnt have bought myself. Nothing.

(some expensive windchimes came close though)


While I was in Kyoto, I had to wander through what must be one of the most well stocked material shops, called Nomura Tailors. Its legendary. Small and cramped, but like a jewel box.


Interestingly and by coincidence, I saw a modern kimono coat (detail above) for sale in the art and craft/antique/flea market that is held once a month in a famous temple grounds. It was exactly the same material (different colourway though) that I bought there on a previous trip, and is being used as a throw while I wait for inspiration. Only a couple of years in the melting pot so far!


There was some cute Miffy material which I didnt buy in the end.



And an amazing version of Hiroshige's iconic "Wave".



This Aladdin's cave of delight made me think that I missed having a sewing machine. So I did my research, decided type I needed, and hunted around the online New Year sales! Bingo! The money almost paid for it. Bargain!

Brother XL2130

"The Brother XL2130 sewing machine is a great starter machine which is suitable for basic alterations and embroidery. This lightweight and compact sewing machine features an auto needle threader, 8 stitch options, embroidery options and 4 step buttonholer. The Brother XL2130 sewing machine comes complete with accessories and a soft cover and is compact - making it easy to transport.

Features:

Auto Needle Threader
Button Holes - 4 steps
Soft Cover
Product Depth 17 cm
Product Height 39 cm
Product Width 29 cm
8 Stitch Options

Instructional DVD"

And it was made in Japan!
Hours of fun. Thanks guys and gals of Dorset Libraries!

4 Comments:

At 12:56 am, Blogger Tabor said...

Good, now you can help me with advice as I proceed to make the kitchen curtains while hubby is in Hawaii. I used to be a pretty good sewer, but now I am all thumbs. Starting with square/rectangular drapes ought to be safe...no?

 
At 7:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you two will be very happy together. A lovely post and pictures.

 
At 12:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you spend many hours together creating:) love Golder

 
At 3:10 am, Blogger Kerri said...

A great present indeed! You should really enjoy that, Val. It's a beauty! I've had my old machine since we were first married. Haven't used it in a while, but I used to sew all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home