stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Latest time wasting fun

Tribal Wars, a free browser based MMOG

(Sorry about the width of the banner, I havent worked out how to narrow it yet!)

After years in Activeworlds an online world devoted to the gentle art of conversation and building 3D houses and gardens (it is so therapeutic once you get the hang of it) I am trying out something not so gentle.

Tribal Wars, so far, is about building up a medieval village - which of course needs to be defended. And they say the best form of defence is attack - but I'm not sure! I am keeping my gender fairly well hidden, as it seems a macho sort of place. However, I feel I may soon be accused of "Sim City" - which is devoting time and energy to farming and building my village and ignoring war and tactics.

I am gently plundering abandoned villages nearby (finding out first, by sending scouts, that they never bothered to build an army) and hoping no-one notices me. I've been invited to join a tribe too, which looks very complicated. Much more so than playing "armies" with the boys in the school playground.

My interest may not last when it gets rough!

By way of contrast I am off on a Zen retreat for a few days. I don't think it will involve martial arts. Maybe some t'ai chi though.......

3 Comments:

At 9:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your interests are certainly varied...wow!
Tabor

 
At 3:25 am, Blogger Zen said...

Go for it!

 
At 8:55 pm, Blogger Rowan said...

It came as quite a surprise to learn that you live in an online medieval world. I've never tried anything like that, a Zen retreat sounds more in my line. Byuilding a medieval village though - it does sound rather intriguing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home