stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Turn again, Whittington...

As he left London, Dick Whittington heard the bells of St. Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside saying to him "Turn again Whittington, Lord Mayor of London!" That was at least four hundred years ago, and today there is still a change in bell ringing that is called Whittington's.

However, I heard no bells today as I thankfully boarded the 17.25 South West train service home from Waterloo to Dorchester South. I had got the 07.10 train up to London, in time for a meeting of the trustees of the UK Community of Interbeing (I now edit Here & Now, the newsletter - apologies for a slightly out of date website, there is an interregnum in webmasters). I may be a Londoner born and bred, but the city seemed grey and grubby today. And I was glad for the lack of bells.

I returned to Dorset night sky filled with stars and a large moon rising. She looked wonderful. I feel so sorry for Londoners with their unnatural orange skies where nothing can be seen.

5 Comments:

At 9:41 pm, Blogger HORIZON said...

Nothing like a bit of space and big sky country Val :)

 
At 2:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, were you born within hearing distance of the bells?

And...

Regarding your previous post; I very much feel that watching the clouds pass in the reflection in a puddle could have been a profoundly spiritual experience. What made you feel it wasn't?

 
At 9:04 am, Blogger Val said...

No but my Dad was born within the sound of Bow Bells. He said. But I thought he was born in Chelsea, so he must have had jolly good hearing!

Oh - the comment about not very spiritual....It WAS incredibly deep, profound and spiritual, but I thought that a puddle was not a very pure place to find such an experience. I would have preferred a still temple pond!!! But I remember your comment about God and the gutter... I wont paraphrase and I cant remember the exact words, it was several years ago!

 
At 5:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is impure about a puddle? (apart from it wouldn't be one's first choice for drinking water). I'm sure the Tao doesn't pass over the puddle to seek out and favour the temple pond.

:o)

"The highest good is like water. Water gives life to the ten thousand things and does not strive. It flows in places men reject and so is like the Tao."

(from the eighth stanza of the Tao Te Ching)

Lotsaluv xx

 
At 6:13 pm, Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

A Very Happy and Wonderful 2007!
Love, Health, Joy and Peace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home