stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Green grass of home

I've been back at work for three days now, my case eventually arrived back and I think I have. I am still dreaming about Kyoto every night, but at least I now wake up at 6am rather than 4 or 5 (i hope that continues!) My good friend and alternative therapist (massage and reflexology and all sorts of other lovely healings) did wonders with a remedy massage oil for jetlag which includes peppermint and geranium I think.

I heard yesterday that I shall have to leave my lovely cheerful office and desk by the windows with the panoramic view of trees and skies for a cold grey room with a small window. I feel quite sad and bleak. But today I walked a labyrinth which was a restoring experience.

Helen Raphael Sands has visited Ioana and many sacred sites as well as churches and village halls with her large canvas Chartres labyrinth. Even though this was indoors, the act of walking meditatively without having to make choices (it's a maze, where you have to choose) is always interesting and rewarding, and seems to bring about a change. I must say that I found myself driving home humming a cheerful song and smiling at the green valleys in the sunshine.

The sunshine prompted Youngest Daughter and myself to go for a walk. We realised she hadn't been to Eggardon Hill - an Iron Age hill fort only twenty minutes away towards the sea. We drove through our next village and picked up newspapers and a bar of chocolate each, and enjoyed the drive along the narrow lanes and green hillsides, and onto the old Roman road. Strange things have been seen up here - ghost legions marching, wild boar and a white deer - all by friends and recently.


We were driving into very dark skies ("its black over Will's mother's" is the Dorset saying) and as we arrived the heavens opened. So we sat in the car, munching and reading till it blew over. Its an amazing place, high up, and the ramparts are very impressive and the views out to sea over the landscape are breathtaking.


It was blowing a gale and we did get caught in the edge of a fierce shower, and we could see lightning in the distance.

The views made me realise the softness and green spaciousness of the English countryside, compared to the concrete cities and mountainous terrain of Japan. No wonder the created sacred havens of tranquillity around their temples are in such contrast to the outside world. I feel I am home in both places- the gardens and temples of Kyoto and the Dorset hillsides - both ancient and deep. I can't quite bring myself to post about my recent trip yet, experiences still need to settle, like pebbles sinking toward the bottom of a river. But some images may start to appear over on The Dewy Path.

2 Comments:

At 2:31 am, Blogger Kerri said...

Nature offers us some beautiful scenery for sure. The sheep on the hill look so serene and the sky is a marvelous colour! Sounds like a lovely walk that I would've enjoyed taking with you.
I love your 'Dorset saying' :)
How sad that you must leave your cheerful office with the panoramic view, though I'm glad you found a way to cheer your spirits.

 
At 7:44 pm, Blogger HORIZON said...

Keep looking up Val- sad to hear about the office situation.
Just finished reading the book, 'Labyrinth' by Kate Moss- great read and so was interested in this post about the Chartres labyrinth- would love to walk it myself!
Bests
Love the photo of the sheep and sky- fantastic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home