stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Friday, January 06, 2006

Four favourite films

In a comment on the previous post, Vishwa asked me to recommend a few good British movies. In fact, I will let the British Film Institute do it for me in its selection of the favourite British films of the last century – the BFI 100

However, I will list a few films I’ve enjoyed that are too recent to be on the list. I think they all show the British at their best, with plentiful insights into our character.

I’m not used to reviewing films, so I’ll add links to a favourite website.

Ladies in Lavender has a wonderful cast, and is set in the 1930s in Cornwall, with stunning acting. The action is slow and fits the time and place. Very evocative

Love Actually is much more modern, and cleverly written. You will need to pay attention much more than in the previous film to follow the interesting twists and turns. It did indeed cause me to ponder on the nature of love.

Calendar Girls is a true story, set in beautiful countryside where a good friend of mine lives (who occasionally comments here) It’s a gentle comedy. I saw it in a cinema full of women who live in a similar rural environment, and it was more moving because of that I think.

Shakespeare In Love is a great tale, and all the more interesting because of the costume and period. Great to see the man behind the plays. I know it was made in 1998 and thus in the last century but it is sooooo British!

OK, its over to you blog readers now. Come on, leave your recommendations for Vishwa. Don’t let him just get my favourites – I don’t watch enough films. Anyway, my favourite films aren’t usually British, or they’re set in Japan or India! I had to cross lots off the list!

2 Comments:

At 7:32 am, Blogger Vishwa said...

Val,
Thanks a lot. I've seen Shakespeare... and enjoyed it. Will try to get the others.
Thanks for links as well.

 
At 1:50 am, Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

Hi Val, I love coincidences too!
I like so much "Love Actually" because is a cheerful, romantic and funny film. I have this film and I watch it over and over. I bought the CD because the songs are great! A very talented Brazilian actor made a little participation, his name is Rodrigo Santoro( in the filme he is Karl) and Laura Linney (Sarah) is in love with him, but nothing with them work. Did you remember?
I will search and rent your another suggestion. Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home