stepping stones of truth

A journey along the path of life - the stones can be rough, smooth or even wobbly!

Monday, January 02, 2006

Top tip for 2006

Back in the summer, I was asking a good friend for recommendations for films to watch. “Straight story” he said. But I couldn’t find it anywhere in Dorset Libraries or in any of the local DVD hire shops. It was made in 1999. Oh well, some you lose.

But by one of those nice coincidences, in the middle of the afternoon on New Year’s Eve I was flicking through the next week’s TV listings (having treated myself to a Saturday paper).There, in ten minutes time, highlighted as Film Choice, was Straight Story!

What a delight. John wandered by and was captured by it too.

So here is a quote from the main character in the film, to help me when life becomes a challenge and things get out of proportion.

“One of the few benefits of getting older is that you’ve learned the difference between the wheat and the chaff. And to let the small stuff go……..”

3 Comments:

At 9:56 pm, Blogger Val said...

“One of the few benefits of getting older is that you’ve learned the difference between the wheat and the chaff. And to let the small stuff go……..”

I've realised that too, over the years, and it has made a tremendous difference to my working life. Now to apply it to my home life too...first New Year's Resolution??

Glad to see you're posting again, Val! And I love the description of the snow - I wouldn't like to experience it again, having spent my first 14 years on Long Island, New York, but enjoying it secondhand is great!

 
At 8:22 am, Blogger Vishwa said...

Val,
recommend a few good british movies for me. We have the british council here in bangalore and i have access to their dvd collection. Will try this movie.
Why not summarize the movie in a small para if you find it good? I do it at times, and i know some bloggers who do it regularly?
Happy new year to you. Have a great year.

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger Val said...

Vishwa, this was a quintessentially American movie, but you have inspired me to post a few words on British films!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home